[XeTeX] More Math Fonts?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Aug 25 10:15:13 CEST 2004

On 25 Aug 2004, at 7:35 am, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2004, at 11:57 AM, Atip Asvanund wrote:
>
>> Hello, I find that Euler and CM math fonts will work with XeTeX? Has
>> anyone made other math fonts available and would like to share? I
>> really like the Fourier math fonts as well. Current, my only choice
>> is Euler, because CM does not look good with most other fonts.
>
> The issue with XeTeX and maths fonts is out of my league. As I
> understand it, at the moment you've only got the choice of CM & Euler,
> like you say.
>
> BTW, the Euler fonts can only be accessed with the euler package, not
> the eulervm package. While this isn't really a problem to me at this
> stage, I understand eulervm is "better", so its failure disturbs me a
> little.
>
> I haven't looked into why this happens; all I know is that the eulervm
> package uses virtual fonts, whereas the other does not...

There's your answer. The xdv2pdf driver doesn't support VFs.

(And if it did, people would still get frustrated because the virtual
fonts would often refer to "real" fonts that exist in PK or PFB
forms....which CoreGraphics doesn't support.)

I don't know what form the Fourier fonts take, so don't know what it
would take to support them.

The best solution would be to reimplement xdv2pdf based on dvipdfm,
rather than using Quartz to generate the PDF, but this would take a
considerable amount of work--both in handling the ATSUI text layout at
a low level, and integrating support for using installed OS X fonts
into the driver, which has its own quite separate font
access/management. (This would provide the currently-lacking support
for generating hyperlinks, etc., too.)

Every now and then, I consider starting this project, but it's hard to
find the time.... "real work" gets in the way!