[XeTeX] Version 0.5 available

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Apr 28 17:39:36 CEST 2004

Hi all -

I have posted a new version of XeTeX, incorporating a number of changes:

* new \XeTeXversion (a number) and \XeTeXrevision (a string) primitives
to help macro package writers know what system they're dealing with

* \picfile and \pdffile have been renamed as \XeTeXpicfile and
\XeTeXpdffile respectively, and are now available only in e-TeX
"extended" mode (this is turned on in the format files shipped with
XeTeX, but take note if building your own xelatex.xfmt, etc.)

* graphic scaling and rotation options reimplemented to correctly
"chain" multiple transformations (aside: note that the .xdv format is
not currently stable across versions!)

* xdv2pdf uses the psfonts.map file, if available, to support a wider
range of fonts and font encodings

* additional fonts in .otf format (converted from .pfbs in the standard
TeX distribution) are included in the XeTeX installer

Note that the installer remains largely unchanged; if you had trouble
before, and had to manually extract and install the pieces into your
TeX tree, the same will most likely still apply. I hope eventually to
improve on this situation! (If I can get hold of a spare disk so I can
easily clean-install various TeX configurations on various OS
versions.....)

For those who would prefer an i-Package distribution, I hope to have
this available within a few days (thanks to Gerben for the offer of
help with this).

xetex.def and modified graphics.sty/color.sty files are not included
with this installer, but I believe the versions created by Ross, and
posted to the list recently, should work after updating to take account
of the primitive name changes in XeTeX.

Jonathan