[XeTeX] XeTeX error message

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Mon Apr 26 15:20:09 CEST 2004

I tried this morning to recreate the problem, but to no avail. Although
XeTeX might be made more forgiving, I suspect that TeXShop might be part of
the problem.

If I open a Textures document directly in TeXShop, and Save As... A Mac OSX
unicode format, save and close the file, and then reopen the it in TeXShop,
there appears to be no text. If I then open that file in BBEdit (gotta love
BBEdit), the text is there and the document is in unicode format. In BBEdit,
by switching off "Include Byte Order Mark" and switching on "UTF-8
Encoding", saving the document and reopening the file in TeXShop, the text
reappears.

I have seen some strange behavior in TeXShop by mucking about with the
encoding of documents. As is the usual way of things, this always seems to
happen when I am rushing in a mad attempt to get something out the door, so
the details of the problems are not clear to me. I will say that in almost
every case, BBEdit has saved the day (zap gremlins, etc).

Once again, the lesson I have learned is either to copy and paste OS9
documents into a TeXShop document, or to use BBEdit to sanitize an OS9
document before opening it in TeXShop.