[XeTeX] Small Caps?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Apr 24 13:02:47 CEST 2004

There are actually two different things you'll want to look into:
"features" and "variations".

Features (and feature settings) are the more common. Essentially these
are options that cause substitution (globally or contextually) of
certain glyphs for others. So things like small caps, word-final
swashes, archaic forms, flourishes, ligatures, etc., are all examples
of font features.

You can see the feature and setting names supported by a font using the
Font panel (e.g., in TextEdit -- or even in TeXShop -- though it's not
immediately obvious. You need to make the panel wide enough for the
"Collections" column to appear, along with the additional controls
underneath it. Press on the "gear" icon and you'll get a popup menu
allowing you to access the Typography panel. This shows you (and lets
you change) the feature settings (if any) of the current font.

Variations (in AAT terminology) are a different thing: this refers to
fonts like Skia (there aren't many others) where the outlines of the
individual glyphs can be varied along one or more "axes of variation"
such as weight, width, optical size, or others. The standard Fonts
panel doesn't seem to offer any way to access variations. If you
install the developer tools, you can run WorldText (installed into
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/Built Examples/), which has an
extended Typography palette (still accessed through the "secret"
control in the Fonts panel) that also shows Variations -- though it
doesn't give you any clue as to the actual numeric values to use.

I believe that if you have Type 1 Multiple Master fonts such as Minion
installed, you can use the variation syntax in XeTeX to control these,
too; e.g.,
	\font\myfont="MinionMM Italic:weight=200;optical size=9" at 9pt
or something like that (not sure of the naming, I don't have it here on
my PowerBook).

Clearly, all this is more than a little untidy. Apple needs to do some
work to make font  variations accessible in OS X applications in
general, and as for hiding the Typography palette behind a "magic"
control in the Fonts panel, that many users may never discover....
well, what were they thinking? Don't they want people to use any of
this neat stuff?

Meanwhile, I've considered a couple of things. The old TeXGX
application, pre-OS X, had a "Font Information" window that listed the
supported feature settings and variations for any selected font, so
that users could tell what would work in a \font command. It would be
fairly straightforward, I think, to build a little utility for OS X
that could display similar details.

Another possibility would be to add some kind of \XeTeXfontinformation
extension to XeTeX processor itself, so that a TeX document could
explore the available options for a given font. This seems attractive
as a route to implementing flexible documents that take advantage of
whatever features are available. However, I'm not sure it's really
quite as useful as it first seems, because of the open-ended and highly
font-specific nature of feature names. There are too many possible ways
a font designer might choose to name any particular feature, and I
suspect that hand-crafted, font-specific tables of some kind will be
the only realistic way to support these things.

Jonathan