[XeTeX] Small Caps?

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sat Apr 24 11:00:24 CEST 2004

> Can anyone comment on the feasibility of creating a macro for
> use with XeTeX to provide faked small caps (i.e. real capitals
> would be rendered at full size in the current font and lower case
> letters would be rendered as capitals in a slightly smaller size)?  How
> would one go about this?

That prompts actually another question: how is it possible to know the
different "variations" available for a given font, such as the
"variations" used in FontSample.tex?
I wondered about this when trying to build a XeLaTeX logo using a small
caps "a". I tried naively, for Lucida Grande, to invoke "Lucida
Grande:Letter Case=Small Caps", with no luck. I remember Jonathan telling
there is no unified naming scheme, for example some fonts may use "Letter
Case= Caps and Small Caps" instead, etc. I imagine this implies, for
example, that for some fonts small caps are even not available at all.
Unfortunately Apple's font pane does not list these "variations". I
started to browse through the typography section of Apple's documentation
site, but gave up after a couple of minutes. Not being a developer, as
soon as classes NSSomething are mentioned I get lost...
Bruno