[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.4 available

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Apr 22 13:11:24 CEST 2004

Hi Bruno,

On 22/04/2004, at 6:29 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 22 avr. 04, à 10:12, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> For PDF figures, you really want to be using \pdffile (which will do
>> true PDF inclusion) rather than \picfile (which will use the
>> QuickTime graphic import APIs, which amounts to loading the PDF into
>> a bitmap image).
>
> It turns out you get \pdffile used instead of \picfile, by simply
> correcting a typo in xetex.def:
>
> 	\def\G at pdf@ext{pdf}
>
> should be changed to:
>
> 	\def\G at pdf@ext{.pdf}

Oops; that was a silly slip-up.
Thanks for finding it.

I'd never actually got around to testing with a .pdf .
Trying to sort out the various transformations took up
a lot of time, before realising that it isn't possible
to handle all combinations of options correctly.

Besides, there's no warning generated.
(Hmm; I suppose  .PDF  should also be checked-for,
else this will be done using  \picfile .)

> In this way the test:
>
>   \ifx\Gin at ext\G at pdf@ext
>    \ifx\Gin at XeTeX@page\@empty\else
>      \edef\picpage{ page\Gin at XeTeX@page}\fi
>    \def\picfilecommand{\pdffile}%
>   \else
>    \def\picfilecommand{\picfile}%
>   \fi
>
> manages to pick up \pdffile if the file has a .pdf extension, and
> \picfile otherwise. With my example I still get warnings, and have to
> press "s", but the output includes the PDF figure.

  's' ?  Won't a simple <return> suffice ?

I've checked with your example, but I don't get this problem.

Wait on, I *do* get it with   \usepackage{graphics}
but *not* with   \usepackage{graphicx}

The driver was built for the more flexible options of
the  graphicx  package.

Thanks for reporting this complication.

Cheers

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114