[XeTeX] XeTeX 0.4 available

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Apr 21 18:32:22 CEST 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, at 5:10 pm, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi --- last time tonight!
>
> On 22/04/2004, at 1:53 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>

>> On 21 Apr 2004, at 4:26 pm, Ross Moore wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Jonathan,

>>> Yes --- but now there is a problem with  'rotated'
>>>    the box is wrong, not enclosing the image correctly:
>>>

> Actually, it's the image that's wrong. The box is right after all.

Thanks for clarifying that; that makes sense, given what I know I
changed. Just wasn't thinking clearly at the time, and over-simplified.
:-(

> Tomorrow I'll post my  xetex.def  which implements LaTeX color,
> and \includegraphics .
> I'm pretty sure it's as correct as it can be, for what you
> say you have implemented. It'll give others a chance to try
> it out, and detect any mistakes that I'm not able to find myself.

That's great.

A couple of questions (for you to think about in the morning; others
are of course welcome to offer opinions as well!):

* Should there also be cropping options on \picfile? I've always done
stuff like that outside of TeX, but I remember someone mentioning it;
does \includegraphics have cropping facilities? If so, what would be a
logical approach to extending \picfile: four new keywords - cropleft,
cropright, croptop, cropbottom? How should this interact with scaling
and rotation?

* How badly do people want \special{x:pagecolor=XXXXXX} or similar? To
implement this, I really need to know the page color at the very
beginning of the page, so I can paint it first--which will mean
scanning the page for occurrences of this \special before starting to
image anything. That will have a small but perhaps noticeable cost.

Jonathan