[XeTeX] Color and fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Apr 21 14:44:17 CEST 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, at 1:38 pm, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2004, at 8:27 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> I doubt that the AAT stuff will go away any time soon; it's pretty
>> central to a lot of Apple's text/Unicode support. But it's true that
>> font vendors are more likely to ship fonts with cool OpenType layout
>> features than cool AAT features
>
> Yes, this is what I was referring to.  AFAIK, you cannot buy a font
> with AAT support; certainly not from a major vendor.  When faced with
> a choice between using Minion Pro or Warnock Opticals (or the
> forthcoming new Garamond optical package) and Hoefler Text, I'd tend
> to prefer the former.

Yes, I quite agree. (You may notice from various samples that my own
interest is not so much in English typesetting as in various non-Roman
scripts; I also build my own AAT fonts.)

If you haven't already done so, I'd encourage you to submit feedback to
Apple asking for OpenType layout support throughout their text system,
in parallel with AAT. It's not a new request, but the more often they
hear it, the better.

Jonathan