[XeTeX] Color and fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Apr 21 14:27:58 CEST 2004

On 21 Apr 2004, at 1:20 pm, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2004, at 8:00 AM, <stephenmoye at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> 2. OTF fonts (eg Adobe and Linotype): Is there a way to use these?
>
> I was wondering about this too; using xetex as a mechanism for easy
> opentype access.

(As an aside, we need to be a bit careful here what we mean by
"OpenType". This term can be used to refer to a font packaging format,
in which case it's fully supported, I think; or it can be used to refer
to the enhancements such as GSUB/GPOS that support more sophisticated
layout, in conjunction with a "shaping engine" such as Uniscribe,
CoolType, Pango, ICU Layout, etc.)

> IIRC, OS X still not does fully support opentype fonts; certainly not
> the sort of functionality that is now support for AAT fonts in
> Panther.  Still, I'm hoping that changes.  As I've said before, as
> nice as the AAT stuff is, I think it's is a dead end ...

I doubt that the AAT stuff will go away any time soon; it's pretty
central to a lot of Apple's text/Unicode support. But it's true that
font vendors are more likely to ship fonts with cool OpenType layout
features than cool AAT features, and Apple is very much aware of this.
Whether/when we'll see ATSUI extended to support OpenType layout
features, though, is something only Apple can really guess.

Jonathan