[XeTeX] Re: XeTeX mailing list ready for use

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Apr 17 06:56:59 CEST 2004

On 16/04/2004, at 12:17 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> I've setup a list at tug.org which we can move to --- if we want.

> It uses some of the examples provided by Jonathan and Will.
>
> The obviously active participants can be subscribed automatically.
> I'm exploring the feasibility of copying the current XeTeX threads
> to that list's archives, so the complete discussion can be available
> in the same place.

Scanning the XeTeX postings on the MacTeX  and  OS X TeX lists,
there have been 17 people expressing interest by contributing
to the discussion or asking about XeTeX.

Of these, 5 are not part of MacTeX, where the bulk of the
discussion has been taking place.
Indeed, 2 of these have tried to join MacTeX, specifically
to see those XeTeX postings.

I've now redirected all of the XeTeX-related postings from those
lists to  XeTeX at tug.org , where they can be seen in the Archives:
     http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/
There are more than 100 postings, collected over 5-6 days.

(Unfortunately, the threading isn't shown hierarchically,
as these messages didn't originate from the XeTeX list.
But at least the redirections were sent in chronological order
of the postings from the other lists,
so that should help in following a thread.)

Unless anyone objects before Monday, I'll block subscribe everyone
on this list who has participated in XeTeX discussions to the new list.

  ... or I'll do it sooner if there's a flood of support to do so.

Then I'd encourage further discussions to take place on that list.
This will probably require starting new threads, to keep the
archives in a state that is easy to follow.

Suggestions are welcome for changes/additions to the list-info page:

e.g.
   a link to the latest version of the installer.

BTW,
I've now got a working driver:  xetex.def
that supports LaTeX's \color etc. commands.
It'll soon be ready for  \includegraphics  as well,
at least for some graphics types.

>>> Those who are discussing XeTeX  can decide if they want to create
>>> another list. For me, it is interesting to see the discussion
>>> even if I don't understand the nitty-gritty details.
>
> Others on this list should be able to say that they don't want
> to be bothered by the messages, or to at least have a separate
> tag to make them more easily filtered.
>

> My expectation is that there will be several bursts of high activity,
> some of a very technical nature. Thus a separate list probably would
> be most appropriate. Everyone is welcome to join, of course,
> and it can be more open than this MacTeX list.
>

> If several people agree that the separate list is best,
> then I'll subscribe those expressing a desire to be on it,
> and open up subscriptions for others to join.
>
> Otherwise, we just let it slide, and stay as we are.

As there has been interest also from outside the MacTeX list,
then having the new list at   XeTeX at tug.org  is surely
the best way forward.

Happy TeX-ing with Mac OS X

	best regards

		Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114