[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] so, what to do about fonts? (was XeTeX)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Apr 15 20:46:16 CEST 2004

On 15 Apr 2004, at 6:26 pm, Wendy McKay wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2004, at 4:51 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>
>>> I don't mind either way. I suspect the "spurt" will die down once
>>> we're past the initial flurry of problem reports and wishes, and
>>> interest in other systems will revive as people see that standard
>>> pdfTeX and friends are better tools for all those people who want to
>>> run completely standard, portable TeX documents.
>>
>> I'd say if the level of xetex-related posts stays fairly high, we need
>> a new list.
>

> Those who are discussing XeTeX  can decide if they want to create
> another list. For me, it is interesting to see the discussion
> even if I don't understand the nitty-gritty details.
>
> Some of you may be aware that TUG is holding
> a Practical TeX conference in San Francisco in July 19-22 2004.
> 	<http://www.tug.org/practicaltex2004/>
>
> I would really like to encourage as many of you to come
> so that we can try to connect with Apple and Adobe  directly
> with you as TeXperts on hand.

Speaking only for myself, I very much regret that it doesn't look at
all likely that I'd be able to attend at that time. There are some
schedule difficulties from a personal point of view, in addition to the
problem of finding sponsorship for the expenses involved.

Regarding connections with Apple, I've known some of the engineers and
managers in Apple's font and text groups for a number of years, so I'm
not entirely without links there. And I will be at Apple's WorldWide
Developers Conference a couple of weeks before the Practical TeX
conference, and hope to meet many of my Apple friends again there.

(I don't have anything like the same level of contacts at Adobe,
though.)

Jonathan