[XeTeX] [MacTeX] so, what to do about fonts? (was XeTeX)

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 15 14:40:38 CEST 2004

On Apr 15, 2004, at 4:51 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> I don't mind either way. I suspect the "spurt" will die down once
> we're past the initial flurry of problem reports and wishes, and
> interest in other systems will revive as people see that standard
> pdfTeX and friends are better tools for all those people who want to
> run completely standard, portable TeX documents.

I'd say if the level of xetex-related posts stays fairly high, we need
a new list.

> XeTeX isn't attempting to "compete" in the standard TeX world. I hope
> it will be able to process standard documents using standard fonts
> correctly (and clearly it's not there yet!), it will never be as
> efficient as pdfTeX for that purpose. But its purpose is to provide a
> high-end typesetting tool that works easily with Unicode and AAT
> fonts, and in particular with complex scripts. To achieve that, it
> sacrifices platform independence and source document portability. And
> for many users, that's a price not worth paying, I realize that.

Which brings us back to the original question:

What's the best way to have Mac fonts like Hoefler Text, Gill Sans,
etc. work "out of the box" for Mac OS X TeX users?

Gerben, did you hear back from Apple on the licensing issue involved
with converting the fonts?

Bruce