[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bruno.voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Apr 15 11:23:02 CEST 2004

Le 15 avr. 04, à 10:35, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> xetex -papersize=a4 is supposed to work; what do you get? Do
> -papersize switches have any effect at all? You should be able to
> specify a variety of sizes:
> 	a3
> 	a4
> 	a5
> 	b5
> 	letter
> 	legal
> 	tabloid
> and you can append ":landscape" to any of these.
>
> If you're running xetex with the -no-pdf option, to get an .xdv file,
> you'd need to set the paper size with the -p option to xdv2pdf rather
> than xetex's -papersize option.

Actually it's not a papersize problem. On CM-test.tex I tried all four
combinations:

xetex CM-test.tex

xetex -papersize=a4 CM-test.tex

xetex -no-pdf CM-test.tex
xdv2pdf -p a4 CM-test.xdv

xetex -papersize=a4 -no-pdf CM-test.tex
xdv2pdf -p a4 CM-test.xdv

and they all produce the same result, a PDF file in A4 format which
seems to indicate that the setup defined at the time the TeX i-package
is installed (I chose A4 paper) is taken into account by XeTeX as well.

It turns out that the problem I had reported shows up in plain TeX
only, and is related to \magnification. Try adding
\magnification=\magstep1 at the beginning of CM-test.tex, typeset it
with pdfTeX and XeTeX. It seems that, with XeTeX, the magnification is
taken into account when composing the page (i.e., calculating line
breaks, page breaks etc.), but not when producing the final PDF output:
the text shows up unmagnified on my screen.

I hadn't related this to \magnification because I implicitly put
\magnification=\magstep1 in all my plain TeX documents and
\documentclass[12pt] in all my LaTeX documents.

Bruno