[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] XeTeX

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Fri Apr 9 23:48:44 CEST 2004

Bruce d'Arcus wrote:

> Wow!  Check this out:
>
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex
>
> Written by Jonathan Kew and designed to work with a TeTeX install, it
> seems to be TeX-GX reborn!

Thanks for the tip Bruce,

It is extremely impressive indeed! It seems a fairly complete
integration
of TeX and OS X: native use of Apple font technology in TeX, and also
direct importation of all graphical format recognized by QuickTime into
TeX. It is designed to interoperate with TeXShop and Gerben's teTeX,
with
also a command-line interface for the Unix savvy, its installation is
straightforward (save the ReadMe file displayed while installing the
.pkg
file, it contains the configuration instructions), and it outputs PDF.
I need to experiment more, see whether the UTF-8 restriction is not
conflicting with the many Mac OS Roman documents I have, and whether it
is
compatible with standard LaTeX packages (I'm writing a report making
intensive use and customization of hyperref.sty).
Another concern: the installation does not seem to create a file telling
what was installed and where. I found a file
/Library/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/xetex, won't it be erased by
any subsequent reinstall of the TeX i-Package?
Bruno Voisin