[UK-TUG] Supporting Statement for Motions 3, 4 and 5

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Wed Nov 13 13:44:51 CET 2019

Supporting state for Motions 3, 4 and 5 from Jay Hammond

----

These motions form a set, and I recommend you vote for all of them together.

UKTUG should be wound up.

Its internal difficulties are soluble, but this would require radical
changes to the committee composition. That seems unlikely, not
impossible. Members not currently on the committee would need to get
involved. If you can’t offer to come on the committee, vote to resolve
the situation in 3 months.

Externally: At the moment, UKTUG has no practical way to fulfil its
purpose of supporting TeX in the UK, because the world has changed and a
bricks-and mortar club is no longer how things work for software support.

Motions 3, 4, and 5 allow UKTUG time to plan a way forward. Then to act,
one way or another,  3 months after the AGM. If  a workable way forward
has been developed,  a dissolution might not be necessary. If it has
not, then an Special General Meeting (SGM) will be be convened to put
UKTUG down painlessly.

I phrase it like that, because with time to prepare a dissolution motion
(to be put at an SGM in 3 months’ time), the members could decide to
wind UKTUG up with no detriment to themselves. As I see it, UKTUG
delivers only two benefits to members. They could be kept by members who
actually want them (not many of us, actually) after dissolution without
the overhead of a formal structure.

Benefit 1) annual TeX Live CDs (for as long as they are being pressed,
maybe 5 more years?)

Benefit 2) annual speaker meeting and opportunity for communication with
other members.

The details of exactly how to achieve this are not complex but don’t
need elaborating here. It is a choice members would have if they
contributed to the creation of the SGM motions. In this respect, Motions
3, 4 and 5 differ from AGM motions 6 & 7, which rule out this choice.
Motion 6 on its own would bind the committee to dissolve UKTUG without
further reference to the members’ wishes.

Three months is sufficient time, if the committee is not hamstrung by
procedural difficulties, to discuss what to do with the money, physical
assets, data, so the SGM dissolution motion would be explicit about
these issues. Equally, if a positive plan can be developed, then
dissolution is not necessary.

I believe the members should lead on this, if at all possible. After
all, UKTUG is not a society for the committee, it’s for the members. The
members certainly should say what they want. Three months is time to
collect views, prepare motions. It is not intended to delay planning a
future for UKTUG or planning dissolution both of which must go on in
parallel, with urgency.

Motion 2 is not specific and is a “distractor”, with the aim of delaying
decision.

Vote for motions 3, 4 and 5 .

Jay Hammond

Email use jay at jjnr.uk