[UK TUG] News for April 2008

Jonathan Fine jfine at pytex.org
Fri Apr 25 12:10:06 CEST 2008

Dear UK TUG Member

*** News for April 2008

You can read this message in your web browser if you wish:
     http://uktug.wordpress.com/2008/04/25/news-for-april-2008/

** TUG 2008: Dates and deadlines

This year TUG's annual conference takes place in Cork, Ireland, on July
20-24. April 30 is the deadline for submitting presentation proposals.
If you'd like to attend, and need financial help, please let us know as
soon as possible. For more visit TUG2008.
     http://www.ucc.ie/en/tug2008/home/

** UK TUG funds TeX Gyre and TeXWorks

Following consultation with our members (and many thanks to those who
expressed views), we have donated £1600 to Jonathan Kew's TeXWorks
project (a cross-platform TeX working environment), and £3400 to the TeX
Gyre project (Open Type fonts, particularly mathematics). For more visit
our Projects page.
     http://uktug.wordpress.com/projects/

** TeX gets Google SOC support

This summer Google is paying 1125 students to write open-source
software, as part of their Summer of Code. Four of these student
projects are to do with TeX. Three are being mentored by TUG, and the
third by the developers of AbiWord. The TUG project to develop an Online
TeX Editor, is being mentored by myself. For links to all four of these
projects, visit the MathTran blog.

http://mathtran.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/mathtran-gets-google-soc-support/

** EuroTeX proceedings

We have copies of the 2007 EuroTeX conference for our members, and hope
to send them out in the next couple of weeks.

** Please help us

We could use more hands and energy. All offers of help are welcome. To
volunteer, email the Committee.
     mailto:uktug-committee at uk.tug.org

--
Jonathan Fine (Chair, UK TeX Users Group)