[twg-tds] structure below texmf/doc/fonts -- RFC

Walter Schmidt w.a.schmidt at gmx.net
Tue Nov 2 15:00:14 CET 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:46:59 -0400, Karl Berry wrote:

>Your scheme for introducing the supplier/typeface levels under doc/fonts
>makes sense to me when there's lots of "additional" fonts, as you've
>described.
>[...]
>But I don't think we should make it the one required way, because in
>practice with the free distributions, that would lead to deep and sparse
>directory trees, which is frustrating for the user.

Thus, you may end up with the following situation:

- Documentation for the free fonts, that came with the
  TeX distribution,  resides in directories immediately
  below doc/fonts.
- Documentation for commercial fonts added by the user
  will reside one level lower, i.e., in directories
  below doc/fonts/<supplier>.

That's how it looks presently on my PC.  Is this acceptable
in general?  Perhaps yes, under a pragmatic point of view...

Walter