[twg-tds] Re: [texhax] revision of the tex directory structure document

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat May 29 04:47:15 CEST 2004

    > I do this in an ad hoc fashion in my personal / localtexmf
    > setups, so that it's:

    > texmf/fonts/supplier/typeface/type/

    > instead of:

    > texmf/fonts/type/supplier/typeface/

This is a very good idea.  What do you think about removing the
"type/" directory?

Today, running fontinst is quite easy, at least for latin fonts.  But
moving the resulting files to the TDS compliant directories is a lot
of work unless people are familiar with a programming language.

Fontinst assumes that all the files are in the current directory.  It
does not need the real fonts (.pfb or .pfa) but it is quite easy to
put them to the current directory as well.  Then even under stupid
"operating systems" you can say
"copy *.* texmf/fonts/supplier/typeface/".

Moving all files from the current directory to
texmf/fonts/supplier/typeface/ is easier than moving them to
texmf/fonts/supplier/typeface/type/.

I don't see a significant performance problem with kpathsea here.

I think that it makes sense to put all font related files to
${TEXMF}/fonts/supplier/typeface/ regardless of the filename
extensions.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25