[twg-tds] Fwd: Re: revision of the tex directory structure document

Hans Fredrik Nordhaug hansfn at mi.uib.no
Wed Jun 2 23:01:15 CEST 2004

From: Hans Fredrik Nordhaug <hansfn at mi.uib.no>
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: revision of the tex directory structure document
Date: 28 May 2004 06:53:25 GMT

In article <b5822ccc.0405271206.1687a356 at posting.google.com>, karl berry wrote:
> The TDS working group has prepared a revision of the TeX Directory
> Structure document.  Before we release it officially as version 1.1, I
> thought I would post it publically to see if there are any comments or
> suggestions.  It's already been by the tds and implementors' mailing
> lists.
>
> If you're interested, you can review it here:
>
> HTML: http://tug.org/ftp/tex/draft-tds/tds-1.094/
[cut]

Just a typo in the HTML version -
<http://tug.org/ftp/tex/draft-tds/tds-1.094/#History>

  "Inputs for, TeX extensions included under tex, instead of ..."

The comma after "Inputs for" is wrong (and not present in the pdf version).

I have one question though: In Extensions
<http://tug.org/ftp/tex/draft-tds/tds-1.094/#Extensions> I don't really
understand the arguments for moving extensions under the top-level tex
directory. Probably I just don't really understand what you are trying to say
or maybe the examples are bad. Going from texmf/pdftex to texmf/tex/pdftex
doesn't seem to solve any search path problems for me. (Going from
texmf/pdftex to texmf/tex/FORMAT/pdftex, however, would make a difference.)
Please enlighten me.

For example where should pdflatex.ini go following the new TDS.
(In current teTeX it's located in texmf/pdftex/latex/config/pdflatex.ini)

Regards,
Hans

--
  The UK (La)TeX FAQ - http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq