etex, pdftex, omega

Peter Breitenlohner twg-tds@tug.cs.umb.edu
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 15:03:13 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, K. Berry wrote:

> Dear TDS-interested folks,
>
> There's been some work recently on integrating etex, pdftex, and omega
> with the main Web2c distribution.  One question came up -- where to
> install the files specific to those programs.
>
> The ``obvious'' solution is to make them sibling directories of `tex',
> and `mf' -- after all, they are sibling programs.
>
> Any problems with me putting words along these lines into the TDS?
> Maybe *this* will push 1.0 out the door :-).

Since e-TeX (in compatibility mode) can be used instead of TeX that does not
sound plausible. (no additional files in this case).

The additional e-TeX primitives in extended mode are closely analogous to
commands provided via macro definitions. Thus i would prefer to have the
e-TeX specific files in "<texmf>/tex/etex" or a similar location. That
should, however, not add an additional level. So i would expect the e-latex
files in "<texmf>/tex/elatex" or so.

Peter Breitenlohner <peb@mppmu.mpg.de>