TeX CD

Ulrik Vieth TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Wed, 8 May 1996 11:49:37 +0200

> Despite the lack of public comment from me, the TDSized CD (now called
> "TeX Live") is nearly done. I shall be sending it for pressing next
> weekend, ie in about 5 days time. If anyone wants to see the current
> contents, see CTAN:info/tdscd/FILES.{ls-r,find}. There is still time
> to change it, but not much.

A few more comments regarding Sebastian's CD contents.  I had a quick
through tdscd/FILES.find (which I had to retrieve from ftp.tex.ac.uk
since it was missing on ftp.dante.de) and here's what I spotted:

./texmf/doc/tex/astro/astrosym.doc
./texmf/doc/tex/astro/astrosym.tex
./texmf/doc/tex/astro/astrosym.dvi
./texmf/doc/tex/tengwar/quenya.dvi
./texmf/doc/tex/tengwar/sindarin.dvi
./texmf/doc/tex/tengwar/quenya.tex
./texmf/doc/tex/tengwar/sindarin.tex

What are these doing here?  I'd say they belong into texmf/doc/fonts/...
In my understanding temxf/doc/tex is only for documentation about TeX
itself, i.e. mostly Knuth's own stuff.

./texmf/doc/pdf/index/style/style.ddd
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/style/style.did
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/style/style.plc
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/style/style.pdd
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/style/style.stp
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/style/style.wld
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/trans/data.trn
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/trans/acrocat.cat
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/work/tb5df567.wrk
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/work/tb5df6a9.wrk
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/work/acrocat.cat
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/morgue/acrocat.cat
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/pdd/00000001.pdd
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/parts/00000000.ddd
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/parts/00000000.did
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/temp/t572ebb1.abt
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/temp/t572e97b.abt
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/temp/acrocat.cat
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/temp/t0756243.abt
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/assists/00000001.wld
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/assists/00000001.abt
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/assists/00000002.abt
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/assists/00000003.abt
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/assists/acrocat.cat
./texmf/doc/pdf/index/topicidx/acrocat.cat

What's this stuff?  Does it have any deeper meaning or is this some
temporary junk left over from PDF distillation runs?  At least to me
it sort of looks like junk, but I'm certainly not an Acrobat guru.

./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi518/yinitdd.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi518/yinit.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi300/cirth.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi300/cmb10.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi432/tengwar.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi329/cmb10.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi360/cmb10.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi240/cmb10.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi660/cmb10.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/cx/tmp/dpi420/cmb10.pk

./texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/tmp/dpi600/cmbr10.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/tmp/dpi600/cmbr17.pk
./texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/tmp/dpi600/cmbr8.pk
[...]

Hmm, why fonts/pk/<mode>/tmp?  Perhaps, something misconfigured or
missing in fontnames/special.map?

./texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/ams/extracm/dpi600/pktmp.15458

This looks like something went wrong during a MakeTeXPK run once.

/texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/cirbf.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/cirsl.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/cirss.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/cirth.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/cherokee.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/dancers.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/cdb10.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/cdtt10.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/teng10.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/hands.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/ogham.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/tengwar.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/devpn10.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/dvng10.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/dvng8.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/dvng9.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/musikn20.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/musikn16.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/musikn13.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/musikn11.tfm
./texmf/fonts/tfm/tmp/musicbra.tfm

Again why fonts/.../tmp?  Same as above.

./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/amsart.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/amsbook.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/amstex.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/article.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/book.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/dinbrief.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/dk.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/dutch.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/epsf.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/foils.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/german.elc
./emacs/lisp/auctex/style/harvard.elc
[...]

For which Emacs have these .elc files been byte-compiled?  If you're
unlucky, files compiled with a recent GNU Emacs might be completely
unusuable with XEmacs or with some older versions of GNU Emacs, etc.
Since this is a very situation, just providing the raw .el files
would be safer, i.e. more portable, albeit a little slower to use.
Another alternative might be using subdirectories emacs/<system>
just as we have bin/<system>.

That's all I noted so far on a quick review.  I haven't got time at
the moment to study things in detail, so I might well have overlooked
something.  However, there must be always be room for improvements
in the second edition ;-)  According to Murphy's law, you'll probably
discover the first bug as soon as you unpack the first copy of the
final product.  Never mind, that's life.

Cheers, Ulrik.