[Tugindia] Type 3 fonts problem

harishankar ramachandran tugindia@tug.org
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 13:18:15 +0530

Hi all,

I have a strange problem I want help on.

	Platform: RH Linux 7.2
	tetex version: 1.0.7
	xpdf version: 0.92

I wrote a paper in TeX and converted it into pdf to submit for a
conference.  My litmus paper test is to see if xpdf can display it,
since I have yet to see a file that displays correctly under xpdf but
gives problems on other viewers/platforms.

I used

	\usepackage{pslatex}

to enforce Type 1 font usage (so I thought), and when I ran Latex and dvips,
the output was correct. 'gv' could display the file properly.

However, running ps2pdf created a file that xpdf claimed was full of
Type 3 fonts, and it did not display correctly. (However, both
Acroread and gv continued to work). This procedure usually causes
problems if a windows user tries to print the file, since Type 3
printer fonts are usually not available.

When I instead ran

	divps -Ppdf -o paper.ps paper.dvi
	ps2pdf paper.ps paper.pdf

I now got a file that was correctly viewable by all three (though xpdf
still complained about Type 3 fonts) except that all 'fi' sequences were
replaced by the pound symbol.

To summarize:

pslatex	| -Ppdf | gv	| xpdf	| acroread	| windows
no	| no	| ok	| blank	| ok		| does not print
yes	| no	| ok	| errors| ok		| ?
yes	| yes	| fi	| fi	| fi error	| ?

Running dvipdf did not help, and pdflatex is not an option, since I
have a number of eps files I would rather not tinker with.

What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to avoid the dreaded Type
3 message and get correct output that will be correctly viewed on all
systems?

hari
--
Dr. Hari Ramachandran, Assoc. Prof., 332B ESB, EE Dept, IIT-Madras
Interests: Nonlinear Optics, Nonlinear Waves, Plasma Physics, Particle