[Tugindia] Generating VIM Tag File

David Kastrup tugindia@tug.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 22:38:38 +0100

"Baburaj A. Puthenveettil" <apbabu@mecheng.iisc.ernet.in> writes:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > Don't get the Emacs fans started, or they'll pester you with AUCTeX,
> > refTeX, preview-latex, align, table, Whizzy-TeX, X-Symbol,
> > flyspell and whatever else they have been doodling up over decades.
>
> Being a recent convert to XEmacs, I havent yet figured out simple things
> like how to make mapings in XEmacs. Eg: how do I get
> \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{}} without typing the whole thing and then get
> the cursor inside the first partial curly brackets? Any suggestions?

C-h a abbrev RET
should give you good ideas.  Input tokens like \partial are the reign
of X-Symbol.  You'd probably type something like d C-, and have the
\partial sign (don't have it handy since I just reinstalled Emacs and
don't use it much myself).

You can insert macros under AUCTeX with C-c RET and typing a few
letters.  If you hit return after \frac, you'll get the desired {}{}
and your cursor located.

If you have typed one \partial, the next will come easily with \p
M-/.  M-/ is bound to dabbrev-expand and will try to complete what
you have started with something it finds nearby.  If it was in error,
type M-/ a few more times.  It will even start hunting through other
buffers at some time for completions.