[Tuglist] Re: preview-latex and pstricks (fwd)

E. Krishnan tuglist@tug.org.in
Wed, 22 May 2002 21:25:10 +0530 (IST)

This is the second mail from David Kastrup.

--
Krishnan

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 22 May 2002 13:54:38 +0200
From: David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de>
To: E. Krishnan <ekmath@md5.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Re: preview-latex and pstricks

"E. Krishnan" <ekmath@md5.vsnl.net.in> writes:

> Thank you for your clarification. I'd used preview-latex only for a
> couple of days, and hadn't read the documentation, when I made the
> posting about the PSTricks support (I was so excited to see it
> work). I got the notion of using psfixbb from an old mail from Denis
> Girou.

Ah, that was from a time when the operation of preview-latex (and the
functionality of preview.sty that it relied on) were quite less
sophisticated.  It was necessary while dvips did the Bounding Box
calculations.

> May I forward your letter to our TUG list?

No problem at all, I should have mentioned this.

> By the way, did I tell you that preview-latex is really wonderful?

I don't quite remember whether you told me, but the news itself is not
really new to me.  But you might tell others.  Since I chose to turn
in a recently acquired notebook to the police when I got response from
contacting its original owner after digging through raw data on its
hard disk (which had been installed fresh, but not formatted), my
computing power is again at quite a low level, so preview-latex
development currently focuses on performance gains again.  Current
plans discussed on the preview-latex-devel@lists.sourceforge.net list
are to plan bypassing DviPS/GhostScript as much as possible.  This
necessitates programming a DVI to PNG daemon.  At the moment the
functionality needed and the most suitable existing code bases to
borrow from are being discussed there.

Feel free to mention on your TUG list also that consequently more
developers would be appreciated.  Just forward this entire mail if
you so desire.

Here is again the pointer for our home page:
<URL:http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net>

On the project page that it refers to, you will also find pointers to
our mailing lists.  If you think people on your list would not
object to the amount of downloadable material, you may also consider
posting the README file from preview-latex there for more information.

Email: David.Kastrup@t-online.de