[Tuglist] Another use of -Ppdf

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:16:53 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 at 15:28, H.S.Rai wrote:

   I was wondering on error produced by ps2ascii on my simple foo.ps
   file. Taking hint form CVR's reply to some different problem, I
   tried dvips -Ppdf foo.tex to produce foo.ps for which 'ps2ascii
   foo.ps' did not produce any error and did his job faithfully.

   Should not this be default option? What is the use of proucing
   *.ps in raster form?

True, but you dont have all the fonts in TeX in type1 format. We got
the type1 format of CM fonts only relatively recently by the
donation from Bluesky Research. Even now we have several fonts still
in raster format only and those are used by many users around the
world.  No wonder if dvips which was written several years ago chose
the raster option as default.