[Tuglist] ps->pdf

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:51:46 +0530 (IST)

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 at 12:48, H.S.Rai wrote:

   On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Subramanian M wrote:

   >  To get quality pdf from ps file, you may use Adobe Distiller.

   But, I got similar poor quality, when I transferred .ps file to
   window PC and converted with Distiller into pdf. May be, if I use
   dvips with -Ppdf as suggested by CVR, it give good results. I
   will try that also.

People believe that Distiller can do magic (that is a
misconception), it can do the very same thing as the ghostscript,
the only difference being distiller provides you a nice interface to
do the job.

No distiller can generate a pdf with type1 fonts if the postscript
has only rasterized and bitmapped fonts, that is what has happened
in your case.

just out of curiosity: Rai, what prevents you from using pdfLaTeX?
is there any compelling reason for that?