[Tuglist] [Off Topic] RMS speech at MIT, Chennai

M K Saravanan tuglist@tug.org.in
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:08:19 +0800 (GMT-8)

Dear all,

During my 2nd year B.Tech at MIT (Chennai), I was reading the OS book by
Andrew S Tanenbaum and he mentioned about a Free Kernel called Linux
written by an Undergrad at Univ. of Helsinki, Finland, called Linus
Torvalds following the MINIX.  Almost at the same time, I read an article
on IEE magazine about the GNU project and Free Software Foundation work by
Richard M Stallman at MIT, AI Lab.  I was so inspired by that article.  I
found from google that already a big GNU/Linux community exist in India
and I found one at chennai also and started attend it regular monthly
meetings where they discuss various free and open source software
available.  The very first day after I joined AU-KBC, i decided to use
GNU/Linux in my machine instead of MS-WINDOWS.  Fortunately i was among
one of the audience at Tata auditorium, IISc bangalore when RMS first
visited India in 2000 and gave a lecture on Free Software at IISc.  That
brought me a great change in me, the way i write and use software.  I
thought every student should listen his speech.  I thought if RMS deliver
a lecture on "Free Software and GNU/Linux OS" at chennai that will create
a great impact among many students.

RMS is visiting India in March 2002 and he will be at Bangalore around 7th
March.  So i wrote a mail to RMS that i will take care of the sponsor of
his Bangalore to chennai visit and requested him to deliver a lecture at
MIT, Chennai.  RMS happily agreed my invitation.  I expect many students
from Chennai Linux User group, IITM, Main Campus (AU), other Engg.
colleges, for this event and I will be happy if it create a change in
atleast one student w.r.t to the way we use and write the software,
software manuals and s/w documentation.

So All are welcome for the following event: