[Tuglist] Breaking a line

Sridhar M.A. tuglist@tug.org.in
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:42:58 +0530

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:22:33AM +0100, Nagesh Kini wrote:

   > I use vi for writing latex input files. When there is
   > a loong line which appears on the screen to have
   > spread over several lines it is not possible to move
   > across and down the apparent paragraphs (which is in
   > fact one single line) using "j" and "k". I have to use
   > "h" and "l" which is a tedious process.

Are you using vim  or some other clone vi, like nvi? If latter, I would
suggest that change to vim. Since you mention Redhat, it is probable
that you are already using vim. If that is the case, just add the
following line in to ~/.vimrc

   set tw=72 et

This keeps the width at 72 characters and expands tabs to spaces. If you
do not want this feaure drop `et'.

To reformat your existing paragraph, place the cursor on the first line,
first column of your paragraph, type gq} in the command mode. Everything
gets formatted neatly. With gq commands, you can even reformat the badly
formatted emails you get on the lists ;-)

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

The secret of healthy hitchhiking is to eat junk food.