[Tuglist] Re: Using pdfscreen for making slides (fwd)

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
20 Jun 2002 09:53:47 +0530

    dileep> Dear CVR,

    dileep> Thank you very much for your prompt reply. The following
    dileep> mail is the one which I tried to send to TUGlist.

    dileep> When I use pdfscreen for making my slides, I am getting
    dileep> the following warnings. Irrespective of all these warnings
    dileep> I am able to get the required output. But I am curious to
    dileep> know what these warnings mean. Is there any way to get rid
    dileep> of these warnings?

    dileep> Package hyperref Warning: Option `pagebackref' has already
    dileep> been used, (hyperref) setting the option has no effect on
    dileep> input line 337.

    dileep> Package hyperref Warning: Option `backref' has already
    dileep> been used, (hyperref) setting the option has no effect on
    dileep> input line 337.

The above two warnings are generated by hyperref package that doesn't
have any effect on your document.

    dileep> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ot1phv.fd)
    dileep> [1[/usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ pdftex.map Warning:
    dileep> pdflatex (file pdftex.map): invalid line in map file: `gbm
    dileep> GothicBBB-M edium-H '

    dileep> Warning: pdflatex (file pdftex.map): invalid line in map
    dileep> file: `gbmv GothicBBB- Medium-V '

    dileep> Warning: pdflatex (file pdftex.map): invalid line in map
    dileep> file: `rml Ryumin-Ligh t-H '

    dileep> Warning: pdflatex (file pdftex.map): invalid line in map
    dileep> file: `rmlv Ryumin-Lig ht-V ' ]]
    dileep> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/omsptm.fd)

    dileep> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OMS/cmsy/m/n' in size <16>
    dileep> not available (Font) size <17.28> substituted on input
    dileep> line 36.

The above warnings relate to your font setup. Your font map files have
lines that doesn't follow the rules.

    dileep> The last warning (Latex font warning) is shown for most of
    dileep> my input file lines. The above mentioned line reads
    dileep> "\item{test}" in my foo.tex.
    dileep> -------------------------------------------------------- I
    dileep> am taking the liberty to ask some more queries regarding
    dileep> the usage of pdfscreen.

    dileep> 1. When I use the option "panelleft" or "panelright", I am
    dileep> just getting a blank panel in the required position. From
    dileep> the manual, I got the impression that a default panel is
    dileep> being set. Is it not? If I give "nopanel" options and add
    dileep> bottombuttons, I am getting the panel at the bottom with
    dileep> all the entries without any additional codes for panel
    dileep> texts.

Seems like your font setup is in peril. Could you make a try using CMR
fonts alone, ie., after removing any fonts package requesting line
like \usepackage{times} etc.?

    dileep> 2. How can I have multiple figures side by side? In Latex,
    dileep> I use the package "subfigure" for this purpose. Here if I
    dileep> am just putting four "includegraphics" command in one
    dileep> slide, it is doing the job; but the alignment of the
    dileep> figures are not the perfect.

Create a series of \parboxes aligned at top or bottom or as you please
and include each figure in each \parbox. Or alternatively, include
your figures in the cells of a tabular.

    dileep> 3. I am not using any section commands in my slides,
    dileep> instead I use Large fonts for the headings. When I include
    dileep> the graphics, it come very much close to the heading. I
    dileep> tried putting two blank lines in between but could not
    dileep> succeed. How can I achieve this?

\vspace*{<dimension>} should help you.