[Tuglist] Changing class file

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@tug.org.in
06 Jun 2002 12:57:49 +0530

    Dinesh> Hello all, I want to prepare a kind of lecture notes. So,
    Dinesh> I chose to use the book or amsbook class. None of these
    Dinesh> classes offers a suitable layout. As a result, first I
    Dinesh> referred to amsclass.faq. As is suggested there, I copied
    Dinesh> the file amsbook.cls to mybook.cls and used it. I got the
    Dinesh> following error

[...]

The problem is that TeX doesn't know that mybook.cls exists in your
TeX tree. Merely copying to the folder where amsbook.cls resides will
not do anything. You have to update the TeX's file database. In my
Linux box, I simply need to issue a command "texhash" at the prompt to
update the file database.

Alternatively, you can copy mybook.cls to your working directory and
run LaTeX.