[Tuglist] Aligning formulae

Dr. Dinesh Karia tuglist@tug.org.in
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 18:12:47 +0530

Dear Indian TeXers,

    I seek your help for the following problem I am facing.

I want an alignment of the following type.

exp_1 = exp_2 + exp_3 + exp_4 + \cdots + exp_n
          = exp'_2 + exp'_3 + exp'_4 + \cdots + exp''_n
          = exp''_2 + exp''_3 + exp''_4 + \cdots + exp''_n

Where all = signs must be below each other. Also, respective + in each row
should be aligned in respective columns. The length of each terms may be
different.

I tried aligned environment but it did not work, as the \columsep is leaving
too much of gaps between + signs and so they look like far separated
columns.

I have MikTeX 2.1.

I hope the above information is sufficient.

Thanks in advance,

Dinesh Karia

Q. How can you drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it?

A. Concrete floors are very hard to crack!