[Tugindia] Re: Indica-TeX

Dr. Dinesh Karia tugindia@tug.org
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 13:04:43 +0530

Dear Udayanbhai,
    Thanks for your reply. Let me brief you about the current development
taking place in India on the front of TeX. You must be aware of the
International Conference in Trivendrum. As a follow up, the ITUG (Indian TeX
User Group) is developing the enhancement in TeX, namely the Indian Language
support in TeX. Presently, the Devnagari is available. Some of the members
have developed a South Indian Language support. Being a part of the new
team, I was in search of some Gujaratis in the Group to form the local
chapter and develop the Gujarati. Unfortunately, there seems no Gujarati in
the group. So, I requested others. And Yoga gave your name.
    Now, about my knowledge of TeX/ LaTeX.

    I have been using LaTeX (MikTeX distribution) extensively. The self
study with the help of Indian TUG has enhance my knowledge to understand how
TeX works. As a result, I have primary knowledge of modifying classes and
style files. Still I have not written any class or style file of my own. As
far as other components, viz the font-design, tfm, type 1 fonts etc are
concerned, I am a novice. So, I too have to learn and develop the things so
that we can develop Gujarati fd, tfm etc.

    I guess you are not a member of the TeX user group. The group is run
really on Sahana Vavatu.... concept. So, I request you to join the group and
join me in, first understanding and then developing the Gujarati support in
TeX/LaTeX.

    In this regard when I posted my message to the group, H.S. Rai (a senior
group member) replied as follows. So, let us start from this point itself. I
am also posting the same message to both the groups (one for user the other
for advanced user). Let us see if some more resources are available.

**** Part of my request*********

>    So, once again I request the group members to give me the outline
>   of the project.

**** A reply from HSR*********
See if following mail by Frederick Noronha give you some information.

http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/prc/2002-December/000033.html

This mail give you article entitled:

  " THE  PENGUIN'S  MANTRA: Efforts are  on  to  find Indian  language
    solutions to GNU/Linux in the subcontinent that matters  "

At the end of this *long* mail you may find following link:

Pango http://www.pango.org
Graphite http://www.sil.org/computing/graphite/
Li18nux http://www.li18nux.org
Free Standards Group http://www.freestandards.org/
Mandrake http://www.mandrake.com
http://www.parabaas.com/Parabaas_Axar/index.html  (Bangla  editor  for
Linux, Java-based, runs on all platforms)

--
H.S.Rai

--- [ a version of Murphy's law ] :-

If things seem to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Q. How can you drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it?

A. Concrete floors are very hard to crack!