[Tugindia] Error while previewing.

David Kastrup tugindia@tug.org
01 Dec 2002 16:14:12 +0100

"Baburaj A. Puthenveettil" <apbabu@mecheng.iisc.ernet.in> writes:

> On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > First I'd recommend upgrading to a newer XEmacs as mentioned above.
> > Apart from that, preview-latex 0.7.5 has been reported to install
> > right out of the box also under Windows XP.
>
> 	How do I do it? Any readme of how to install is available?

Certainly.  Just unpack it.

> 	The sourceforge net has tar.gz , so should I unzip it in linux
> first and then transfer to windows.

AFAIK, the WinZIP utility should have no problem unpacking a tar.gz
file.

> > If you want to use the autoconf-based installation, you need to
> > have the Cygwin tools or a similar set of Unix-like utilities
> > installed.  There is a file outlining a manual installation
> > procedure in case you don't want to use that.  Your XEmacs does
> > not need to be of the Cygwin variety, nor does your TeX, and
> > during normal operation no Unix-like utilities are required.
>
> 	Do you mean about the windows installation file for preview latex
> at sourceforge net? More details?

I suggest that you unpack the archive, read through the available
docs, and _then_ ask any questions that remain open.  We have
invested a lot of time and work in making good documentation.  Please
don't ignore it.  When you have any problems with the documentation,
of course feel free to report them and ask questions.  But take a
look at the documentation first.

> I presume that no automatic installation file in the form of
> setup.exe is available for preview-latex for windows xemacs?

Until such time as anybody does this: correct.  It should also be
reasonably simple (and probably more appropriate) to make an official
XEmacs package for XEmacs' package system for preview-latex (the
installation procedure pretty much does something like generating such
a package and installing it manually AFAICS), but unless some
volunteer does so and submits it, this will not happen.  I don't use
XEmacs myself.

I am copying this mail to preview-latex-devel@lists.sourceforge.net,
maybe somebody there knows better about what would be involved.