[Tuglist] front-end to latex

Sridhar M.A. tuglist@tug.org.in
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:47:09 +0530

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 11:20:45AM +0530, Baburaj A. Puthenveettil wrote:

   > Dear CVR,
   > Could you please elaborate what is auctex and reftex setup as well as how
   > to use the preview latex in emacs. Currently I am using gvim and is
   > wasting quite a bit of time compiling each time I edit the tex file and
   > seeing the dvi file. Does gvim has that facility?, if so I dont have to
   > shift to emacs from gvim

With apologies to CVR, I will post my reply :-)

Auctex is an add-on for emacs which has lot of keybindings to insert
commonly used latex environments/symbols/whatever.

Gvim per se does not have auctex support. If you are using vim >= 6.x,
there is a script file called auctex.vim which mimics the auctex for
emacs. There is also one more script on vim.sf.net which puts the TeX
and related stuff in the menu.

Preview is one thing that is not yet available. Maybe sometime later.
Just yesterday I got to know how to use src-specials in tetex.
Ctrl-click on an area in the xdvi screen brings you to that line in
gvim/emacs/nedit. Makes correcting things a breeze.

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Old programmers never die, they just become managers.