[Tuglist] TFM and MF files.

Radhakrishnan CV tuglist@gnu.org.in
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:33:57 +0530 (IST)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 at 16:17, K N Manoj wrote:

   I came across some help for installing new fonts for LaTeX,
   which says where the .tfm, .mf, .def, and .fd should be put in
   the $TEXMF directory.

It depends on how you configured your input directories in the
configuration called texmf.cnf. See the following from texmf.cnf:

% Metafont, MetaPost, TFM, etc inputs.
MFINPUTS = .;$TEXMF/metafont//;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/source//
PKFONTS =.;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/pk/{$MAKETEX_MODE,modeless}//
VFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/vf//
TFMFONTS = .;{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/tfm//

You can add your own path to the above. Recreate all the formats
again to effect your changes.

   Can we put these files in the user home directory, and use
   some environment variables to point the directories they
   belong to?

Yes, theoretically it should work. I have not tried this though.