[tlu] First Time in a Long Time

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 14 13:54:20 CEST 2019

> On Sep 13, 2019, at 11:31 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 13, 2019, at 9:00 AM, Bruno Voisin via tlu <tlu at tug.org> wrote:
>>
>> Experiencing problems here too now. The automatically picked mirror is
>>
>> 	http://ctan.mines-albi.fr/systems/texlive/tlnet/
>>
>> Although listing succeeds, the wheel keeps spinning forever in the toolbar. (See screenshot.)
>>
>> The log ends with
>>
>> 2019-09-13 13:56:04 +0000 Notice -[TLMOperation main][2301]	Successfully executed `/Library/TeX/texbin/tlmgr --machine-readable --repository http://ctan.mines-albi.fr/systems/texlive/tlnet/ update --list --all`
>>
>> If the Update All button is pressed, the log becomes
>>
>> 2019-09-13 13:58:07 +0000 Notice -[TLMMainWindowController _updateAllPackagesFromRepository:][2301]	Beginning update of all packages from http://ctan.mines-albi.fr/systems/texlive/tlnet/
>>
>> but nothing happens (I waited minutes).
>>
>> Bruno
>>
>> <Capture d’écran 2019-09-13 à 15.57.15.png>
>
> Howdy,
>
> On one of my Mojave Systems I ran `sudo tlmgr update --all` successfully. I then ran TLU and it did say there were no updates but the spinner continued until I Quit.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Ran TLU again today. There were no updates (since I ran tlmgr yesterday) and the spinner continued for a short period of time and stopped. It looks like the problem is related to Norbert's server. The last three lines in the log are

2019-09-14 11:35:35 +0000 Notice -[TLMOperation main][27256]	Successfully executed `/Library/TeX/texbin/tlmgr --machine-readable --repository http://ctan.math.utah.edu/ctan/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet update --list --all`
2019-09-14 11:35:38 +0000 Notice -[TLMOperation main][27256]	Successfully executed `/Library/TeX/texbin/tlmgr --machine-readable --repository http://www.preining.info/tlgpg/ update --list --all`
2019-09-14 11:35:38 +0000 Notice -[TLMMainWindowController _handleListGPGUpdatesFinishedNotification:][27256]	Found 0 tlgpg packages to update from http://www.preining.info/tlgpg/

so the ctan.math.utah.edu call completed with no items to update and, three seconds later, the preining call completed with no updates. I'm guessing these calls are on separate asynchronous threads.