[tlu] [ TeX Live Utility 2018 ] broken update URL

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Dec 24 21:07:46 CET 2018

> On Dec 23, 2018, at 23:01 , Simon Kramer <simon.kramer at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
> Dear Adam,
>
> 	Thank you for your speedy response.
>
> 	Could you please indicate
>
> 		+ the minimally required user/system umask
> 		-> in your TLU-software
> 		-> at https://amaxwell.github.io/tlutility/
>
> 	See
>
> 		https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201684
> 		sudo launchctl config user umask ....
> 		sudo launchctl config system umask ....

No. However, TLU should give you a warning if you have changed
it in a way that will remove group and world read/execute bits.
If you disabled the warning after you saw it, you only see it
once, and it can be reset with

defaults delete com.googlecode.mactlmgr.tlu TLMDisableUmaskWarningKey

> 	Currently, TLU-updates result in inaccessible
> 	TexLive-files when I try to compile after update.
>
> 	That is, I cannot compile anymore after using TLU,
> 	and thus have to reinstall TexLive.
>
> 	("You don't have permission to access ...")

I recommend that you use the default umask, and I don't support
modifications to it. The only other suggestion I can make is
that you change ownership of the /usr/local/texlive tree to
your local user, so TeX Live updates will not be installed as root.

(copying the list so this ends up in the archives, also)

-- adam