[tlu] installing new packages

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jan 26 15:27:28 CET 2015

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 6:48 AM, Sebastian <sebastian.beckhaeuser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hey there,
>
> i am using the latest mactex and the tlmgr on my mac osx 10.10
> for my document i need the “picins” package, but unfortunately i don’t find it in the manager to install and also trying to install it manually won’t work.
> do you have any suggestions how i can install this package.
> thanks in advance.
>
> cheers, sebastian

Howdy,

The picins package has been archived and was meant to be used with the ancient LaTeX 2.09. You can still get it from CTAN and you simply unzip it and place it in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex. Note: ~/Library is the Library folder in your HOME folder, NOT the one at the root of your Hard Drive. By default it is hidden under Yosemite (actually OS X 10.7 and later). To Open that Folder hold down the option key while clicking on the Go menu in Finder; a new Library item will appear and click on that. If you've never done that before you will need to create the folder hierarchy texmf/tex/latex (first make texmf then make tex inside that and finally latex insidde that) and finally place the unzipped folder inside that latex folder.

More modern versions for inserting pictures in paragraphs are wrapfig and floatflt both of which are part of TeX Live, installed by MacTeX. I'd suggest learning how to use those packages.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)