[tlu] Just Curious

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Aug 30 20:03:54 CEST 2015

On Aug 30, 2015, at 02:17 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> TLU is working fine here under OS X 10.10.5 but I'm curious about one line I see in the log just after tlmgr has completed updating and exits properly and just before tl_iptask exits fine also. The line reads
>
> 2015-08-30 09:10:54 +0000 Notice -[TLMAuthorizedOperation _runUntilChildExit][1537]	waitpid returned 1702, WIFEXITED(0) = 1, errno = 1 (Operation not permitted)
>
> and I just wonder what it means. (I know... I shouldn't be waisting my time looking at the log. :-))

I have seen this symptom for a long time.  Most OS X systems (back to when I was at Apple) exhibit it, but I was never able to track it down.  If I enabled debugging in the kernel, it manifests as a GUI alert that shows up after a program or app "successfully" completes.  After exit, this alert shows up. The best we could figure is that it had to do with garbage on the stack during the actual exit: most of the time, the garbage was "good" (i.e., zero); but occasionally, it was "bad" (i.e., non-zero).

And I can confirm seeing this on 10.6.8 and 10.10.5 (both today).

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income