[tlu] Should the Default Toolbar change?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Feb 18 17:56:25 CET 2014

Howdy,

Just got finished helping out someone update TeX Live 2013.

First they wanted pgfplots 1.9 (the most recent version) by using TLU to update TL-2012 via the historic repository. I convinced them to install TeX Live 2013 via MacTeX and update that with TLU and an active repository.

They then told me that they did so but still didn't get pgfplots 1.9; they still had version 1.8. Had me puzzled. I made sure they were using a good repository.

They eventually told me that they were told to use `sudo tlmgr --update -all` and it was proceeding well! I then questioned them about the TLU update. It turned out that they believed that the display of available packages meant they were updated!!!! So they never looked for commands to update the packages in the Menu system!!!!

Spent the good part of a week helping them out. :-(

Maybe the Update Selected and Update All buttons should be part of the default toolbar for TLU?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)