[tlu] TeX Live Utility: Listing Failed

Marek Stepanek mstep at podiuminternational.org
Thu Sep 19 19:25:33 CEST 2013

On 9/19/13 6:45 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> On 19 sept. 2013, at 18:11, Marek Stepanek
> <mstep at podiuminternational.org <mailto:mstep at podiuminternational.org>>
> wrote:
>
>> After some quirks I got it working like follows:
>>
>> I tried - as Bruno suggested - to choose the repository of
>>
>> http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet
>>
>> But could not find it, because it is ordered by country. Living in
>> Germany I tried with Uni Hagen. After some failures, I discovered the
>> menu item: Window > TeX Live Repositories and from here I chose Uni
>> Hagen again and then reinstall over Actions > Reinstall TeX Live Manager
>>
>> Everything is working now :-)
>
> The repository is actually there, in the first section of the list, "My
> Repositories". Just to be sure this wasn't caused by some tweaking I
> would have done and then forgotten about, I started a new session as
> Guest User (hence with default settings for all apps) and obtained
>

>> To the error log: is it probably somewhere inside of - I made in my tcsh:
>>
>> % cd /Applications/TeX/TeX\ Live\ Utility.app/
>> % find . -iname "*.log" -print
>> % find . -iname "*error*" -print
>>
>> Could not find anything. But probably its not the right place to spot.
>
> It's in an unusual place, and in an unusual format (a Property List) for
> a log file, but it's definitely there, at
>
> ~/Library/Application Support/TeX Live Utility/Log Messages.plist
>
> The file is binary and unreadable in a text editor. But it reads fine in
> Xcode (and opens in it upon double-clicking).
>
> The directory ~/Library is hidden by default on recent versions of OS X.
> To access it:
>
> - Either press the Alt key while opening the Go menu, a new Library item
> will appear there.
>
> - Or type in Terminal
>
> chflags nohidden ~/Library
>
> This will make ~/Library visible in the Finder. However, OS updates have
> the unfortunate habit of restoring this setting to the default, so
> you'll probably have to repeat this now and then.
>
> One last thing: this list is configured to send replies by default only
> to the poster you're replying to, not to the list. That's a common setup
> for all the lists managed by TUG. Hence, if you want the reply to hit
> the list, not just the original poster, you need to make sure you press
> Reply to All instead of just Reply. I'm often making the mistake myself.
>
> Bruno

O Sorry Bruno!

But I know this! I am subscribed to many Mailing lists. It was only by
inadvertence, that I hid on "reply" and not to "reply all".

This is an unusual place and an unusual format for an error log.
Difficult to find the error messages with Xcode. To be honest, I even
did not found the error messages at all. But now my Tex Live Utility is
working again, I did not have a closer look.

This hidden subject is useless for me, because I am rarely in the
(Mac)Finder and mostly in my Shell. But thank you nevertheless for your
hints and labour :-)

Thanks to everybody - this time to all the mailing list

marek