[tldoc] TeX Live doc updates?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon May 13 22:25:40 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-13 at 09:35:00 +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

 > On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Karl Berry wrote:
 > >
 > > Meanwhile, two other fronts:
 > > - For those translating tlmgr msgs with gettext: I don't foresee any
 > > change there, except whatever problems you yourselves might find :).
 > > So please don't hesitate to update those.
 >
 > I'm just curious: Is the image for TL 2013 bigger than for TL 2012  by
 > any chance or is it just that I wasn't able to load it last year and
 > I'm only spotting the problem now?

Yes, the image is really huge this year.  You see, TeX Live is growing.
I can't compare it with older versions because the .png files don't
exist on already installed systems.  But it was definitely smaller in
the past.

However, xwininfo tells me

  Width: 917
  Height: 884

for this year's release.  But when I remove the image I get

  Width: 827
  Height: 646

and there is no extra blank space at the top and bottom.

So it's probably best to scale the height of the image to 646px in
order to avoid wasting space.  BTW, I first thought that the height
depends on the actual font, but the height of the window is exactly
the same even with --lang=zh_CN.

 > I'm asking because the GUI installer doesn't fit on the screen of
 > my 13" MacBook with 800 pixels height
 > [...]

You are certainly not the only one.  There are so many different
devices nowadays...

 > This doesn't affect GUI, but for the sake of "tlmgr install *" or
 > other linux distributions with package names after collections, I
 > would also suggest renaming "langeuro" into "langeuropean" (unless
 > that's prohibitively long). "langeuro" sounds like "langusd". Some
 > might confuse it with "languages spoken in countries using EUR as the
 > currency ;)"

I don't worry very much about internal names unless they are ambiguous
or misleading.  I must admit that I occasionally wrote \texteuro\TeX
instead of Euro\TeX and everybody understood so far. :)

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25