[tldoc] Translating with Poedit & git/svn

Anh K. Huynh kyanh at viettug.org
Sun Jun 19 01:46:23 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:58:50 +0200
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure what is the TeX Live's policy of giving commit rights
> to users, but getting commit rights might be an option to help you
> work slightly faster (you would probably commit translations more
> often?).

I've seen Karl message in the thread.:)

> However you still might end up having to merge changes if you start
> working on translations for some time and wait long enough before
> committing that vi.po gets updated in repository due to changes in
> tlmgr.
>
> I'm also using Poedit and it is a constant battle between
> auto-updated files and Poedit to "fix identation". There are two
> notable differences:
>
> 1.) If lines are short enough, TL's autoupdate will merge sources,
> like that:
>
> #: texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui.pl:605
> texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui.pl:607
>
> while Poedit will split them:
>
> #: texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui.pl:605
> #: texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui.pl:607
>
> 2.) TL insist in translations being shorter than 80 characters,
> while Poedit insists in having as long lines as needed to fit the
> whole translation between \n. (That might be an approximation, but
> more or less it holds.)

Oh yes. I also see these problems. I think it's better that Poedit should keep the format of the old .po file; I also like to keep lines under 80 characters. I will try to contact Poedit's author about this.

Thank you for your great comments.

Regards,

--
Anh Ky Huynh @ ICT