[tldistro] TeX Live is now in the Cygwin distro

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Mar 11 22:28:17 CET 2012

Hi Ken,

The first thing tlmgr does is read texlive.tlpdb.  I didn't think of the
distros attempted to maintain that file.  Without it, I see no way to
use tlmgr for anything.  Attempting to factor out or generalize things
so as not to require tlpdb would overly complicate an already
too-complicated program, in my opinion.  Hyphenation patterns, formats,
maps, ... distros do their own thing for all these elements.

On the other hand, if your Cygwin install is essentially vanilla TL but
in a different location, I expect you could somehow arrange to run tlmgr
when the appropriate (Cygwin) packages are updated and it should all
just work?  (Ha. :)

Best,
karl