[tldistro] [tldisto] patches for TeX Live

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 17:43:21 CEST 2011

Dear Paulo (and other distributors),

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 19:51,  <pcpa at mandriva.com.br> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 00:45, Karl Berry wrote:
>>>
>> Yes, distros fetch the *.tar.gz file, but if there was something new
>> in branch 20XX, it would be easy to create patchfiles every now and
>> then (once per month, when some patches accumulate or when some
>> distribution requests patches that they need) and distros could also
>> fetch patchfiles from the same location as main tar.gz files.
>
>  I like this idea, and from what I understand from it, could be
> something like:
>
> 1. A tarball to be installed somewhere like texmf-extra that
>   is "hot fixes" for texlive-texmf. texlive-texmf is too big
>   of a package to be uploading to mirrors frequently, and
>   causing users that do frequent online updates to be
>   downloading all the time.
> 2. More frequent texlive tarballs to recompile arch specific
>   bits.
>
>> At least mandriva was willing to apply any patches needed. But if
>> there is no reference of what is needed, it is impossible for them to
>> decide what else could go in.
>
>  To be sincere, I understand that texlive is very important package,
> but I initially did not consider myself as the most appropriate person
> to take care of the package, and did not give it the attention it
> deserves, for example, not even joining this mailing list before...
> But yes, I have interest in knowing of better procedures to keep up
> to date with upstream and provide more valuable packages to end users.

In case that you didn't notice, Karl took the suggestion seriously and
added some patches:

http://tug.org/svn/texlive?view=revision&revision=23740
http://tug.org/svn/texlive?view=revision&revision=23716

(I will apply some tiny hotfixes to ConTeXt myself.)

I would suggest to upload patch files (that should be straightforward
from SVN, I think that "svn diff" does the job) to ftp server whenever
it feels appropriate.

Karl - thank you very much.

Mojca