[tldistro] [tlbuild] patches for TeX Live

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 07:22:30 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 00:45, Karl Berry wrote:

> Thus, if the distros don't use it, which I don't think they do, there's
> no use wasting time committing anything there.  My (vague) understanding
> is that it is more convenient for the distros to download the release
> tarballs and apply their own fixes, instead of worrying about svn
> branches.

Yes, distros fetch the *.tar.gz file, but if there was something new
in branch 20XX, it would be easy to create patchfiles every now and
then (once per month, when some patches accumulate or when some
distribution requests patches that they need) and distros could also
fetch patchfiles from the same location as main tar.gz files.

At least mandriva was willing to apply any patches needed. But if
there is no reference of what is needed, it is impossible for them to
decide what else could go in.

Mojca