[tldistro] [tex-live] building tex live + tlbuild/tldistro lists

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Sun May 18 08:15:20 CEST 2008

"FC" == François Charette writes:

 FC> A few files are not set executable (at least this was the case last
 FC> week).  In the Build/source directory I had to do: * chmod a+x
 FC> configure * chmod a+x selfautofix and after "configure" and "make"
 FC> I did: * chmod a+x texk/mkinstalldirs * chmod a+x Work/selfautofix

strange, all of these files already have the executable bit at the
location where your build script is getting them:

$ rsync -v tug.org::tldevsrc/Build/source/
receiving file list ... done
[snip]
-rwxr-xr-x      311134 2008/04/11 09:47:47 configure
[snip]
-rwxrwxr-x         886 2006/01/15 16:03:16 selfautofix
[snip]

sent 30 bytes  received 417 bytes  178.80 bytes/sec
total size is 347908  speedup is 778.32

(and same for source/texk/mkinstalldirs).

 FC> Also, the Makefiles under utils/xindy currently do not take into
 FC> account the parameters --datadir and --mandir that I passed to the
 FC> configure script, nor the --prefix parameter I gave to "make
 FC> install".

i tried to fix this, here is the commit log:

change the condition for the "special texlive build behavior":
previously it was triggered just by the --enable-tetex-build
configure option, but some distributions are using both
--enable-tetex-build and at the same time redefine the datadir,
docdir, mandir, etc.

now, the "special texlive build behavior" is enabled when both
the --enable-tetex-build option is used, AND $datadir is the same
as $prefix, which is the case when using the default Build script.

the "special texlive build behavior" for xindy consists of:

* installing "xindy" and "texindy" as symlinks pointing to
  scripts in the texmf/scripts/xindy/ directory, rather than
  copying them as regular files into bindir.

* installing xindy.mem into bindir (rather than into pkglibdir),
  as in texlive, it is the only platform-dependent directory, and
  there's no per-platform lib directory.

* redefining datadir, docdir and mandir to the layout used in texlive:
  datadir="$prefix/texmf"
  docdir="$prefix/texmf/doc/$PACKAGE_NAME"
  mandir="$prefix/texmf/doc/man"

* disabling docs generation and make-rules build (because they
  require working latex and pdflatex during build). in normal
  texlive builds, the docs and make-rules are installed in the
  texmf tree, and need not be re-built.

if distributor wants to build the whole texlive, with xindy, and
uses the --enable-tetex-build, but redefines datadir, we disable
the above "special texlive build behavior".

in this case, however, please keep in mind that you need the
working latex (for make-rules) and pdflatex (for docs) during
xindy build. if you do not have it, add --disable-make-rules and
--disable-docs configure options, but keep in mind that without
the make-rules, xindy's install is incomplete, and you need to
use the files supplied by texlive's Master/texmf/xindy tree.

please see if you still need to fix xindy's makefiles now.

Best,
v.