[tldistro] [tex-live] building tex live + tlbuild/tldistro lists

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Fri May 16 11:50:17 CEST 2008

> More changes will be more coming, but I think it is time to try an
> initial compile of the TeX Live sources.  Volunteer builders for TL, you
> know who you are :).
>
> I have sent a message with more details to the (new) mailing list
> tlbuild at tug.org, to which I've already subscribed the volunteer builders
> of the binaries we distribute as part of TL.  I also wrote down some
> procedures, etc., at http://tug.org/texlive/build.html.
>
> Perhaps a good time to mention that a few weeks ago I also created
> tldistro at tug.org for discussion related to including TL in "downstream"
> distros.
>
> Feel free to join either list as you like
> (http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/tlbuild resp. tldistro), but let's keep
> them focused on their respective topics as much as possible.  The whole
> idea of creating them was that not everyone on those lists wants or
> needs to be on this general list.
>
> Thanks,
> Karl

Thanks for this Karl. Just a note to say that everything compiles well
here (on linux i686, I'll try x86_64 later), but the install step
necessitated the following interventions:

A few files are not set executable (at least this was the case last week).
In the Build/source directory I had to do:
* chmod a+x configure
* chmod a+x selfautofix
and after "configure" and "make" I did:
* chmod a+x texk/mkinstalldirs
* chmod a+x Work/selfautofix

Also, the Makefiles under utils/xindy currently do not take into account
the parameters --datadir and --mandir that I passed to the configure
script, nor the --prefix parameter I gave to "make install". Since I
install everything under a temporary directory ($startdir/pkg), I had to
fix the Makefiles for xindy with this (actually all on one line):

find utils/xindy -name Makefile -exec sed -i -e 's|^mandir =.\+$|mandir
= ${datarootdir}/man|' \
     -e 's|^datadir =.\+$|datadir = ${datarootdir}/texmf|' \
     -e 's|^docdir =.\+$|docdir = ${datarootdir}/texmf/doc/xindy|' \
     -e "s|^prefix =.\+$|prefix = $startdir/pkg/usr|"  '{}' \;

Finally I fixed the symlinks with a script similar to the one I sent to
this list some time ago.

For those who may be interested, my build and install script is attached.

FC