[tldistro] script symlinks

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 11 17:41:00 CET 2008

I realized in the middle of the night that some changes we've been
making to the way executable Perl/etc. scripts (such as epstopdf,
pdfcrop, and so on) are installed in TL will probably impact everyone
here.  So I thought I'd give you a heads-up.

Our new theory from the TL perspective is that it is better to install
the scripts themselves under texmf*/scripts, a wrapper for Windows that
knows how to invoke Perl (or whatever) on them, and have a symlink in
the bin directories for Unix.  This has several advantages for us; I
won't belabor the point.

However, for the distros, the symlinks will point to the wrong place.
For instance, in TL we have
bin/i386-linux/pdfcrop -> ../../texmf/scripts/pdfcrop/pdfcrop.pl

But I can't imagine that that relative path is going to work in an LFS
or other system context, so it's going to have to be adjusted, or else
copies made, or something.

The links in bin are now created via source/texk/tetex/Makefile.in.  (I
wrote some comments there about the general situation.)  If something
can be done to make it easier for the right thing to happen in your
cases, let me know.

karl