[tlbuild] [CWEB] Why should I care about harfbuzz?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jul 14 23:29:08 CEST 2019

Hi Andreas,

    w.h.y.

Because the world moves on? (And because the specifying of single
packages under web2c/ to enable is unimplemented :(. However, BTW, all
of the non-web2c packages you are explicitly listing should be covered
by --disable-all-pkgs.)

   Could someone with more indepth knowledge advise me how to compile CWEB
   from the TL sources again?

I haven't tried it yet, but the harfbuzz-enabled luatex does indeed imply:
--disable-luahbtex
--disable-luajithbtex

ICU is only required by xetex, not lua(hb)tex. Harfbuzz is needed by
both (and only, as I recall) xetex and the new lua(jit)hbtex, so if
those are all disabled, it shouldn't get built either.

Hope it flies. Let me know ... -k